Monday 16 January 2012

Introductory Post


 My name is Elyse Semchuk and I am in my second year of the Animal Health program in the ALES faculty at the University of Alberta. I already use Facebook to stretch my communication muscles in a social group for the University of Alberta Pre-Vet/Animal Health Club. I frequently use Facebook to post pictures and send messages to a family that I adopted a dog from. My fourteen year-old Miniature Eskimo, Monty, is a regular presence on my wall and my friends' news feed. This picture was was taken by me and uploaded from my my Facebook albums.


Facebook is an excellent way for me to communicate with the people I adopted him from, as well as a means for them to contact me if they need to place another rescue dog in my home.

 I signed up for a Twitter account on the first day of ALES 204 class. I instantly knew I wanted to follow people and pages on Twitter that I was interested in. The first person I began to follow on Twitter was my man, Cesar Millan. His Dog Whisperer Twitter page has updates about his show and the dogs that are featured on it. Twitter is an excellent method for communication between Dog Whisperer enthusiasts.

In class we discussed the use of blogs in the world of science journalism. I have used research databases and followed forums in the past, so when I read our class blog's entry: ALES 204 Blog Science Journalism Post it seemed very familiar. I was not surprised to find that the science journalism blog sites were well structured and complete with updated blog entry listings and sidebars that contained other blog entries with similar topics. I met a Nutrition and Food Science student on the second day of class and I am very impressed with Rima's student blog.

My goal is to have my future E-Portfolio reflect my enthusiasm about my surrounding online environment which will become increasingly important for the  my future employment, education and animal adoptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment